Sitecore Core Development

Monday, April 10, 2006

SQL Express and Cassini

We have done a couple of conversions that have eased the development some.

Last thursday Ole moved the databases to SQL Express (with a heavy bribe from me). While Firebird is an excellent database, it's strength is also it's weakness. As it runs InProc with the ASP.NET process, it has to rebuild its cache whenever we rebuild the VS project. This takes just a little time - not something you would normally notice - but as we rebuild about 100 times a day, it is something we can feel. And I like the flexibility of being able to choose between SQL Server, SQL Express and Firebird.

Today Runi showed me how to get Sitecore running on Cassini - the web server that comes with Visual Studio 2005. It was just really an issue of getting used to it - there were no problems at all. The big advantage of using Cassini is that I do not have to reconfigure the IIS every time I change project, which happens a lot when we build patches. I have been using the Sitecore IE Toolbar for a long time, but I hope that time is over now.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home